The Ledge is destined to become the Highlands only performance climbing centre and one dedicated to improving lives through the simple act of climbing upwards; it is both a life skills charity and centre for the Highlands climbing community and a special place for all our climbing and non-climbing visitors. We want to create an open, fun and encouraging environment, a great place to work in and be an inspiring and positive experience for all those who come into contact with the Gym and our charitable work. We are funded as a “sport for all” National facility and therefore have a strong community role as well as a role to introduce climbing to a wide and diverse audience. If you want to contribute to our purpose, read on.
Role Summary: A modern climbing gym’s reputation is based on not only the quality of the environment, approachability of its climbing and the great coffee but increasingly, the quality of its customer service. Ultimately, we are a sport leisure and tourism project where we will offer exciting engaging and fun climbing experiences both indoors and on the crags. The success of this, then drives our charitable aims and objectives.
We are looking for a dedicated, energetic, outgoing, and organised individual(s), who will help deliver our climbing instruction, contribute to our route-setting, coaching and team programs; Someone who enjoys working with effective programs to develop climbers at every level from young kids and first time visitors to the elite and who is willing engage positively with our regular clients.
We are looking for team members that will inspire and integrate fun and joy as a way of being and working. Our Route-Setting, instruction and Coaching will be at the heart of The Ledge experience, and it is up to you as part of a skilled team, to contribute to the programs.
Instructors will first and foremost be engaged in encouraging best practise and fostering and developing a safe climbing environment and have the ability to recognise the difference between safe climbing techniques and those which may lead to injury of the climber, belayers or other members and or staff. The nuances of using climbing equipment and style, requires the staff member to have an active interest in modern safe practise and the ability to encourage behaviour change or step into a situation that may lead to an incident.
The ability to demonstrate and coach modern sport climbing skills such as dynamic belaying, safe falling, down climbing etc are fundamental requirement. An interest in training for climbing and adventure sport would also be helpful.
Approachability and the ability to express yourself when instructing courses or advising members and visitors is a key attribute and will be more highly valued than the ability to crank out one arm pull-ups. We are looking to develop a diverse and relatable mix of staff, one that offer a welcoming first contract with the Ledge
Essential Job Duties:
- Aid the Lead Instructor with scheduling and delivering training, coaching and instructional programs across wide range of ages and abilities
- Aid the Social Impact Instructor in working with our charitable users and visitors
- Delivering NICAS and NIBAS programs
- Contribute regularly to the route setting program, working to the agreed grade spread and the setting of problems, that reflect the outdoor and indoor influences that affect modern setting. Adhering to the safe setting guidelines and management of hold stock, as set by the head setter.
- Working with kids parties, corporate clients and group sessions bouldering, lead climbing, and in on Auto belays
- Working at reception dealing with entries, membership and visitor enquiries and inductions.
- Delivering Coaching Programs; including the use of our studio and S&C facilities for all levels of climbers wishing to improve
- Implement group and individual coaching programs and aid the upskilling of members
- Connect and reconnect with athletes and parents/guardians to encourage continued development and practice
- Administrative responsibilities linked to the role
- Participate in regularly scheduled meetings
- Upholding a positive ethos in the team environment
- Working with external coaches and instructors
- Daily H&S duties such as checking ropes, auto-belays and hire equipment
- Contribute to the ongoing development of courses and projects
- To represent the Ledge as a positive influence in the community
Education, Skills, & Qualifications:
- CWI or RCI preferred
- 3+ years of climbing experience
- Level 2 RSA Setting certification – desirable
- Route-setting experience is preferred
- Ability to forerun at a minimum of V3
- Lead and demonstrate 6b sport indoors and outdoors preferred
- First Aid Certificate (current preferred)
The correct applicant will be offered inhouse training and CPD opportunities if deficient in some of the desired skills or certification.
Benefits and Salary – £20,000 – £23,000
Full holiday and benefits available to discuss at the interview stage.
This job description and summary is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, duties, requirements, efforts, or working conditions associated with the job. While this is intended to be an accurate reflection of the current job, Management reserves the right to revise the job or to require that other or different tasks be performed.
The Ledge is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
CV’s should be sent to email@example.com
Title the email: – Job Application – Instructor
Closing date for applications is 30th Sept 2022. Interviews will be conducted shortly after the closing date and may include a climbing test indoors or on a sport crag.